Saturday, January 5, 2008

British Talent

The Times today has a list of the top 50 authors to come from the British shore since 1945. Well, to have produced their "most enduring works" since 1945. It is fairly interesting; some are utterly familiar to me (Dahl, obviously, Pullman, Rowling, Orwell), whereas others I know of but haven't read (either Amis), or haven't really heard of (generally modern poets). However, it's a useful guide for things to try and have a crack at this year. I have friends who aver that the best writers / books in the past century (in English) have, generally, come out of the States. I'm not convinced entirely. The post-colonial literature of India and Africa is growing and remarkable; plus, this list shows that there have been more than a few decent homegrown writers. Still, not many recent ones.

However, my main point is that I'm not really in a position to comment, having read so few of these or, really, of the modern US folks. So again this year I shall attempt to catch up. Fat chance, but I may give it a good old try, for once.

No comments: