Sunday, April 22, 2007

Perverted Inheritance

I have, alas, not got any further in my quest to read / watch anything that can be considered a classic. I have, however, completed my bookclub book for this month - Saturday, by Ian McEwan.

Hmm.

There are some (Cerebus, for example), who will say I was predisposed to dislike him because my mother dislikes him. Her influence cannot be denied on me, hence my gobbling up of crime novels, I'm sure, and my general irritation with two of the world's grand dames, the Dench and the Streep (although my dislike has waned somewhat). Nonetheless, I think this was all entirely his own fault. It was... infuriating. It all felt--and I hesitate to use this term--terribly contrived. I am also not entirely sure I'm interested in reading this story of this type of man, but I imagine that the Daily Mail & Telegraph loved it.

So yes, prejudiced - but due to the book. However, I shall persevere. My friend has a three-book rule - if you can't stomach an author after trying three of their books, that's it - no more chances. Therefore, given that Atonement is on the Top 100 List, which is acting as our guide, I shall give him one more try.

Alas, as it's finals time, I cannot bear anything too taxing. So it's back to reading trash until I can think properly again, without guilt.

No comments: