Monday, March 19, 2007

Why Even Bother?

I admit that I have not yet read Three Men in a Boat. In fact, I am still struggling through The Black Book by Orhan Pamuk which is, in my opinion and experience thus far, almost unreadable. I don't know why I'm finding it quite so difficult, but I really am.

Completely readable is, however, The Well of Lost Plots, the third of Jasper Fforde's series about a literary detective, Thursday Next. It is a rollicking read, ridiculous--and the edition I have, kindly lent by a friend, seems unable to distinguish between who's and whose, which drives me NUTS and for which there is NO EXCUSE. Anyway, the point of all this is that there are many literary references in these books which are extremely good fun and make you feel clever for knowing what they mean... which is possibly one reason (albeit dodgy) for reading the classics: That feeling that you are cleverer, somehow, than those who have not yet read them.

Is that wrong?

No comments: