Wednesday, February 28, 2007

...by moonlight?

I have to admit, the name of this blog is clever in a silly sort of way. Even sillier, though, is the fact that it has taken me this long to work out the pun. I would keep looking at the address every time I came here, thinking, "Huh, illread. Makes me think of something, but..." And then I would get distracted by some other shiny object, lending proof to my sneaking suspicion that my attention span is... I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?

Here's what I like: "Illread" is both a pledge, as in "I'll read," that is, I shall or I will read, the convention of the URL forcing out the apostrophe, and a confession, as in I (to take the most blatantly obvious example) am "ill read."

But I think, too, that this last is also a charming reference to A Midsummer Night's Dream wherein Oberon greets Titania at the first on-stage crossing of their paths with the line, "Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania." That is, this is a crafty, subtle, underhanded challenge, calling us out to read or risk losing some form of (A) handy child, (B) fairy kingdom, (C) pride, (D) magical love-potion, (E) all of the above in the form of our imaginations, allegorized.

Then, too, you have homophony, such that "illread" becomes "isle red," possibly a reference to the ill-fated Red Island of Rovinj, Croatia. How this last works seems slightly beyond my modest powers of interpretation, but I would imagine it has something to do with the rocks upon which the stormy waters of time will toss us should we fail to keep ourselves afloat with the aid of good, solid, surely-everyone-has-read/watched/listened-to-this-except-me culture.

Any others?

4 comments:

pumpkin29 said...

I am flattered that so much intelligence has been attributed to the naming of the blog. If only 'twere all worthy... well, no, I shan't be entirely modest. Ill-read is actually the construction I had intended, and indeed stolen from / in homage to ill-met by moonlight.

So, in a way, trying to prove that I'm not that ill-read after all, but smarter than you all. That Isle Red business though... nowt to do with me.

pumpkin29 said...

That's utterly fab. Plus it's something that I would have missed out in in fair Albion, because British people spell lasagne thus, and therefore go heng a salami wouldn't really work.

Now THAT is a tragedy.

pumpkin29 said...

That's utterly fab. Plus it's something that I would have missed out in in fair Albion, because British people spell lasagne thus, and therefore go heng a salami wouldn't really work.

Now THAT is a tragedy.

wind-up-bird said...

MMMmmmm, salami.